What to Do First
Seek Medical Attention for Your Injuries
- For severe physical injuries, please call 911 for an ambulance or go directly to the Emergency Department
- DO NOT change your clothes or shoes (if possible, bring extra clothes and shoes with you, including underwear)
- DO NOT shower, wash your body, or wash your hair
- DO NOT wash out your mouth, brush your teeth, or have anything to drink
- DO NOT douche
- TRY NOT TO urinate
- Bring a friend if possible. You can also call the Sexual Abuse Centre Thunder Bay 24 Hour Crisis Line at 344-4502 and we can get someone to accompany you.
- If your injuries are less severe and you do not want a forensic examination, you may prefer to seek medical attention from your doctor or a walk-in clinic
If you decide to get a forensic examination (commonly known as a rape kit), washing and changing your clothes will destroy evidence. Even if you're not sure about getting a forensic examination, you can preserve the evidence now and decide about it later.